Monday, June 28, 2004

Murder, She Wrote

I have a soft spot for Murder, She Wrote. There, I said it. It's my pop culture guilty pleasure. I'm resigning any pretense I ever had at hipster chic.

Except that you have them too, these pop culture guilty pleasures, sneaky little bastards that your otherwise impeccable taste assures you are dreadful, drecky remnants of your past, of the things you liked before you knew what you were and weren't supposed to like. They may be the things your mother liked (and still likes). In fact if your guilty pleasure is Murder, She Wrote, it's a good bet that your mom likes it too.

Meredith told us yesterday that she went to see Vanilla Ice, not when she was fourteen and too young to know any better and going to see Dave Matthews, but a mere three and a half years ago, in her freshman year of college. Maybe the instinct was ironic and retro dork cool. Maybe she just wanted to see Vanilla Ice.

Come on, you can admit it. You can tell me. Debbie Gibson? The A-Team? Condor Man? It's Condor Man, isn't it?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're like my grandma; my grandmaliked murder she wrote. She also liked jake and the fatman.

I miss starblazers. and knightrider. knightrider was the best.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're like my grandma; my grandmaliked murder she wrote. She also liked jake and the fatman.

I miss starblazers. and knightrider. knightrider was the best.

josh

11:32 PM  
Blogger heathalouise said...

You hit the nail on the head. I actually was a member of the Debbie Gibson fan club in 7th grade. Right now, my guilty pop culture pleasure is Starting Over, that craptastic reality show that combines the Real World and Oprah. I also kinda like JAG. Wow, my taste totally sucks!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if that's your pop culture guilty pleasure what do you call 90210 or eXtreme Dating or even The OC?

HUH?

d

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kieran Snyder said...

Ain't nothing guilty about The OC.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home