Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Neulander

I picked up the Neulander CD this past weekend after hearing the wonderful track "Flying" on KEXP a couple of weeks back. NYC slowertwitch readers (and I know there are at least a couple of you!), do you know anything about this band? I'd encourage you to go see them if you have the opportunity. No idea how good they are live, but I'm really enjoying the album and I suspect they could be really good in concert. A little like The Lovemakers but a whole lot better.

Our Magnetic Fields tickets came in the mail this week. I've seen them twice before and neither time was transcendant, and yet I keep going back. Though the first time I saw them they opened for Yo La Tengo (now there's a good live band) and hadn't heard them much before and it was enough to make me run right out a buy a bunch of their stuff, so it couldn't have been too bad. In any case I'm looking forward to the show.

I've been feeling the need to expand my musical horizons lately. I find KEXP very reliably enjoyable from 6am-2pm every day, and I find it reliably about half-enjoyable from 2-6pm, but I'm listening to so many more albums now that I listen to music at work most of the day that I'm starting to feel the need to supplement our collection. If there's anything you've especially enjoyed lately, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of my favorite albums right now is Hopes and Fears, by Keane. a little bit Queen, a little bit Rufus Wainwright. Can't Stop Now and Everybody's Changing are two songs from the album that KEXP seems to play fairly often. -ben

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW a legit mp3 of Flying is available from the album's publisher: http://diskob.null2.net/mp3/neulander-flying.mp3

11:22 PM  
Blogger Kieran Snyder said...

Yes! I listened to that MP3 a bunch of times before getting my act together and buying the album.

Ben, I like the Keane I've heard on KEXP a lot. Good to hear that you're enjoying the album.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been listening to Nellie McKay a lot lately. I'm not sure if she would quite be your type of artist, but she's so unique compared to many people recording music out there I find myself really fascinated wtih her. At first I thought that her music was kind of like angry lounge music, but it's actually a lot more complex than that. Anyway, I really like her stuff.

Oh, I also picked up the Future Soundtrack for America. There are some good songs on it (I especially like TMBG's version of Tippecanoe and Tyler Too), but as a whole I would not recommend the album. My feelings are so strong about it that I have been considering writing a review of it, titled "Why Good Protest Songs are Fun and Not Depressing".

Erin

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home