Friday, August 27, 2004

Da doo run run run

Keep those music suggestions coming!
***

I've been thinking about my race schedule for the upcoming several months. I think I've been persuaded to drop the Seattle marathon and do the half instead; I have several friends who are at least thinking of doing the half, so assuming at least some of them come through (I'm looking at you, Ben and Chad!), it might be more fun to race that one myself. I'm really sad to miss Hood to Coast this year -- I'm hoping I can find some team to join up with next time around. Beyond that I'm not sure. I have vague ideas of doing the Vancouver marathon in May, but it's a long time between now and May. I need to find some other races to fill the time. Erin and I are talking about doing a race together sometime next year, maybe a half-marathon. In training for her first triathlon (race is next week!) she's been smitten by the running bug. So we need to figure out a good race to organize a weekend around.

In general I need more running partners, preferably ones who are close to my speed, live in my neighborhood, and are willing to run in the morning before work. Not that I'm picky or anything. Almost everyone I know is appreciably faster or slower than I am, which is good for the occasional speed workout/recovery run but isn't so great for every day. Not that I'd want to run with someone every day. I enjoy the solitude and quiet of running alone, especially early in the morning.
***

In other news, Darren and Kalyani are arriving this afternoon for a little over a week in Seattle and environs. We've been trying to think of good things to do with the weekend. La Carta de Oaxaca is definitely on the list, but it turns out that they may want to do stuff other than eat.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of triathlons, did you happen to catch any coverage of the women's Olympic? Talk about drama...I couldn't believe Kate Allen! Her come-from-behind run to the gold from 44th place in the swim was almost miraculous. I found it really inspiring for me, mainly because I am a slow starter that speeds up towards the end. But I think it sends a good message to any racer that you can mess up and recover.

Never give up!

Erin

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the women's olympic triathlon was so kickass that i watched it twice, though my excitement was a little tainted by the weepy minibiopic that NBC ran during the event about how half of loretta harrup's family is dead and all she really has now is the triathlon.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for places to take guests, i'd recommend vios (at 19th and aloha), which i finally got to today. friendly, interesting, very reasonably priced, and oh yeah DELICIOUS. had a sandwich containing thinly sliced roasted (?) pork, braised fennel and garlic greens. meat was tender, bread was fresh and chewy (didn't have the baguette box problem of being too sharp), and veggies were flavorful and cooked just the right amount. the greek salad was made with ripe veggies and a fresh-tasting soft feta -- not salty and hard. i could have done with less oil on the salad but it was good to dip bread in after the salad was gone. also tried the lamb souvlaki; very well constructed, with tender yummy lamb. seating is family style, a la salumi. the wine selection looks great and a lot of it's under $12. bottled beers are $2.25. (see what i mean about good prices?) starting 9/7 they'll be open evenings, with a prix fixe menu. until then they're open 8:30am-4:00pm mon-sat. go.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home