Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Birth, school, work?

Amharic
Assamese
Corsican
Greenlandic
Inuktitut
Khmer
Lao
Sorbian
Uighur
Yakut
Yi

This is a sampling of the languages I've played with at work today. I can't keep up with myself, or with my native speakers (when I can find them). I know I've blogged before about the Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics writing system. I remain a dedicated fan. One of these summers maybe I'll visit Nunavut.

I'm thinking of taking an actual language class, which I haven't done for a while. My options are somewhat limited by what's on offer nearby and what fits my schedule. I was toying with the idea of taking Italian, which I can read and sort of understand but can't really speak. Chris and some other friends are starting a Japanese class in April, but I can't bring myself to commit that far right now, especially since I've been sort of investigating some usability classes as well. Who knew that I'd be back in class-taking mode so quickly after finishing school? But this usability stuff is pretty exciting -- sort of applied cognitive science. Thus far I only know what I've picked up reading on my own and in various projects at work, and I definitely want to learn more. There's a pretty decent program at the UW, so I was thinking I might try to find a class in the spring quarter that fit my schedule.

I can't get out of school mode even when I'm not in school mode. I have a problem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in a usability class - let me know if you find any good ones :)

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home