Monday, March 07, 2005

My breadbox runneth over.

Artisan bread. For me, maybe the greatest food trend in the last decade. I make my own bread all the time, and I can produce a respectable loaf, but I'm not an artisan and it shows. When I compare my bread to any loaf from Essential, I wonder why I ever make my own.

Overall I think I'm a pretty good cook, but in general I do best with those things requiring very little precision: soups, pasta dishes, rice curries, and so on. I like making things where cooking is intuitive. Baking doesn't come naturally to me, but baking is so precision-oriented that maybe it doesn't really come naturally to anyone. Still, some people are better at it than others, and in this case I'm definitely among the others.

On the bright side, I'm currently polishing off some humblingly good toasted Essential rye bread for breakfast, so not all is lost.

This was a pretty good weekend. Meredith is here, Brett and Ritchie and I had our birthday party, and we're down to just two more episodes of Lost until we're all caught up. And my breadbox is currently full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home