Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Things to read.

Last night I finished rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in anticipation of the release of the sixth book next month. It was more satisfying than I remember it being, maybe because the first time I read it I flew through it in a feverish 24 hours in a frenzy trying to figure out which character was going to die. Having finished that, I've now moved on to Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, which I can already tell I'm going to like and not like. Personal essays that revere and inflate the significance of both author and pop culture are most satsifying when you're the author whose significance is being inflated, and yet even when you're not, the fact remains: who isn't interested in discovering the meaning of life as seen through the prism of the prom episode of Saved by the Bell? Reading this book reminds me of Jay, who recommended it, and of Heather, who might as well have.

I've been thinking lately that someone should start an advice column in our weekly company newsletter, which at present focuses exclusively on developments in dorkland and people selling video cards and baseball tickets. I've been thinking lately that it should be me.

1 Comments:

Blogger heathalouise said...

I understand what you mean about Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. I prefer Klosterman's Fargo Rock City, if only for his taxonomy of certain metal bands and songs.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home