Monday, January 03, 2005

I'm the freak girl in your line at QFC.

Thanks for all the engagement well wishes in the last few days. You guys are awesome.

I used my last day off for a while to run and loaf around and cook and take my ring in for resizing. I ought to get it back 1-2 weeks later and a size and a half smaller. Evidently it needs to be sent to the Tiffany elfin workshop in New York for the resize.

While I was out running into my errands I bumped into this guy who used to work at the grocery store where I shopped. Middle-agish, balding, short, pudgy, perpetually miserable-looking. One of the last times I saw him he was the cashier in my line and we had a conversation that went like this:

Him: Hi! How are you today?
Me: I'm okay. How about you?
Him: Great!
Me: Really?
Him, pausing with my bread frozen over the scanner: Huh?
Me: I mean everyone always says great. Are you really great? I hope you are.
Him, looking like he wants to do something violent with my bread: No.

Then we sat there in awkward silence as he finished putting my stuff into a bag for a few minutes, and when I left it went like this:

Him: Have a great day!
Me: You too!

The next couple of times I saw him at the grocery store, I avoided his line and looked the other way. Then he stopped working there and that took care of that. Until this afternoon, when I spotted him wandering into the electronics store at the mall. We exchanged kind of a weird look and I could feel him thinking: Wow, there's that freak girl from my line at QFC.

Back to work tomorrow, folks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forget who said, "a boring person is one who when asked how they are doing, actually tells you."

10:09 AM  
Blogger Kieran Snyder said...

Aw, welcome aboard, Mike. :)

(You didn't think you could hide your identity that easily, did you?)

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! go kieran go!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home