Sunday, December 11, 2005

How will I keep up on Oscar day?

I've been on a movie binge lately. After going more than a full month without seeing anything (granted it was the month that included our trip to Polynesia, but still), I have now seen eight movies since November 16. From my movie list (yes, I keep a movie list):

11/16/05 A History of Violence
11/17/05 Jarhead
11/18/05 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
11/24/05 Good Night and Good Luck
12/2/05 The Ice Harvest
12/7/05 Pride and Prejudice (2005)
12/8/05 Rent
12/10/05 Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Of these only Rent was worth missing. Best of the bunch was A History of Violence.

Since we just got back from seeing Narnia (summary: Katherine and I liked it; Jeff and Chris thought it was so-so; putting aside the heavy-handed Christian allegory is tough, but worth doing; pretty faithful to the way I envisioned the book), I started looking through my movie list.

I started keeping the list of everything I've seen in theaters (DVDs don't count) in January, 2003. That first year I recorded seeing 90 movies in theaters. Ah, student life.

In 2004 the total fell to 31. This is what starting a job does to you, apparently. (And getting a TiVo?)

So far this year I'm up to 35, with several more occasions that I can think of to come. I'm not going to make it to 90, but I might make it to 40. Suddenly the point of a top ten of the year list seems kind of empty and not ultimately very selective (except insofar as I am pretty careful to pick movies that are likely to be good, with less time to see things). Maybe a top five would be more relevant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home