Thursday, November 10, 2005

Write me a picture.

The people I like form a superset of the people I really like in much the same way that the people I know form a superset of the people I really know.

On a scale of one to math, my current job is somewhere around the period right after lunch.

But wait, because those things are connected.

I am not a visual person. Words do more for me than pictures do, which makes me 1/1000 of someone else. I want to like pictures, I want to be good at pictures, I want not to navigate like an ant when I go places. I want to think in maps. What great books and great paintings can do for me makes the two appear totally disconnected on the artistic spectrum. Howard Gardner would call me a verbal, linear-sequential learner.

I started down this line thinking about a friend of mine who has no temper for reading but seemingly boundless patience for taking and manipulating photos, and I wonder how we have conversations at all. And it occurred to me: no one in my family is visual like that. I am totally predictable progeny.

Chris just interrupted me to show me pictures of outrageous jewelry and now I forget where I was going with all this, but the interruption makes a better ending anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home