Sunday, November 20, 2005

On maturity.

Yesterday was one of those days that I'm going to look back to late in life as pivotal: unable to find anything I liked at Abercrombie and Fitch (where my best option was a "Do I make you look fat?" t-shirt), I walked next door to Ann Taylor and was overwhelmed with choices. I think this means that I am officially old.

I meant to stay in last night but the combination of guilt trip from Ritchie and promise of Chopstix from Jess got me motivated enough to go out. I ended the evening wishing that I had had exactly one fewer drink and one more piano request accepted. Life is full of these little experiences designed to keep us wanting more.

(What does it mean that Chopstix is what motivates me to go out these days? I think it is the going out version of shopping at Ann Taylor.)

Finally catching up on movies after a long hiatus. In the last three days I've seen A History of Violence (very good, and I've been to the Track n Turf!), Jarhead (it's no American Beauty, but it had its moments, plus the editorial in the November issue of Harper's has me reevaluating somewhat), and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (very good, but any movie adaptation of this book was bound to leave me somewhat disappointed). I guess this is another of those experiences designed to keep me wanting more, since there are another three or four or five things out right now that I feel that I need to see. Given that my current time constraints are forcing me to be a more discriminating consumer than I'd like to be, I'd be grateful for recommendations, pro or con. Capote? Shopgirl? Others?

2 Comments:

Blogger heathalouise said...

Shopgirl SUCKS. Run far, far away. Kira and I saw it this weekend because we got to the theater late and missed the first 10 minutes of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Steve Martin is totally creepy and there is absolutely nothing subtle about the film at all. You'll get concussed from all the anvils dropping.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Kieran Snyder said...

Good to know. How disappointing.

But this made me miss you guys! Would it still be terrible if we split a bottle of wine first?

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home