Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Squid and the Whale.

We finally saw The Squid and the Whale tonight. It was just what I wanted Me and You and Everyone We Know to be but wasn't. I loved it.

I don't know if it's because I'm a child of divorce with two parents who think of themselves as being hyper-academic. I don't know if it's because if I ever become a parent, I run a very high risk of turning into one or the other of those parent characters myself. I don't know if it's because the two preceding statements are causally connected in a way that is painfully transparent. Either way, this movie was great. I need to wait a while and then see it again. There was a lot I felt myself missing, lots about how the movie was shot, because I was so invested in other things.

I hope this gets picked up by more theaters after it gets nominated for some Academy Awards. As it surely must -- and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or the other or both of Laura Linney and Jeff Daniels win.


Blogger onlybrody said...

jeff daniels is brilliant in every movie he's ever been in. i'm going to see this as soon as it comes to champaign. likely on netflix.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home