Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Squid and the Whale.

We finally saw The Squid and the Whale tonight. It was just what I wanted Me and You and Everyone We Know to be but wasn't. I loved it.

I don't know if it's because I'm a child of divorce with two parents who think of themselves as being hyper-academic. I don't know if it's because if I ever become a parent, I run a very high risk of turning into one or the other of those parent characters myself. I don't know if it's because the two preceding statements are causally connected in a way that is painfully transparent. Either way, this movie was great. I need to wait a while and then see it again. There was a lot I felt myself missing, lots about how the movie was shot, because I was so invested in other things.

I hope this gets picked up by more theaters after it gets nominated for some Academy Awards. As it surely must -- and I wouldn't be surprised to see one or the other or both of Laura Linney and Jeff Daniels win.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

jeff daniels is brilliant in every movie he's ever been in. i'm going to see this as soon as it comes to champaign. likely on netflix.

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home