Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Sleepy California.

I've been listening to Her Space Holiday all day today. It is remarkably sad music. I'm not sure if it affects anyone else this way or if it's just me. I've been interspersing with the newest Asobi Seksu album and the EP by The Little Ones, both of which I am a bit late to acquire and both of which I like. But in the end I keep coming back to Her Space Holiday. I guess it's just that kind of day.

***

This past weekend was Hood to Coast, which was the opposite of sad! This was a very different experience from last time in a number of respects. For one thing, last time the only person I knew was Ben. This time I knew very many of the people on our team (and a few people on some other teams) ahead of time. This is mainly just a function of Ben having been our organizer this time around (and what an excellent job he did), but it started me thinking how long I've been in Seattle and just how many people I've come to know during that time. Even if one of our teammates was Erin, who traveled from Boston to run.

One thing that was not different from last time was my leg assignment, only this time my recovery time is way faster and my times were faster as well. It turns out I did my first 5.6 mile leg at a 7:23 pace. For me, that's flying. (Yeah, yeah, so I was coming down off Mount Hood. What of it?) My quads are just finally working out the lactic acid today, after a couple of light runs in the last two days. This race has convinced me that a sub-22 5k is within my grasp though, so I am now determined to accomplish that. Even if it means biting the bullet and doing speedwork and getting over my guilt at slowing people down so that I can run with people who are faster than I am. The one guy in our van who I did not know before the race -- Sean, who works with Chris -- does not yet know it, but I am going to take him up on his offer of occasional trail runs with me. I'm pretty sure it will kick my butt, but in a good way.

If you want to see some pictures of the race, Yaniv has some up on his site here: Hood To Coast.
If you want to read about the race, you can do so here: http://www.hoodtocoast.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Sherlock said...

Yes, you can do a sub-22 5K with that 5.6 mile average. Regular pace work, like once a week should help that. Not, I did not say speed work, pace work. Should be on a track. 400, 800, 1200 in different mixes will help teach the body to be comfortable at that pace and importantly build confidence in you that you can do it.

The FIRST program is working well for me. http://passionaterunner.blogspot.com/2006/05/first-plan-reflection.html

Good luck! and if you want some advice, let me know.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home