Saturday, September 24, 2005

A week of hibernation.

So here's the thing. It's not that I can't fit more in than I do, because every time something comes up I find a way to squeeze it in. But I'm starting to realize that I don't have enough time. I want to read, see movies, run, study Italian, organize our apartment, go out with friends, stay in without friends, talk to people who live far away, write, listen to music, spend my weekends traveling. I have too many interests and not enough time. And so every time I choose to do anything, I'm becoming keenly aware that the choice is made at the expense of something else.

I don't see a real way out of it, and I have the sense that it only gets worse as people get older. Because right now other than work and basic life, I have no actual responsibilities making claims on my time. What happens if we have kids? Something probably gives, and to greater or lesser degrees, it's probably the stuff on the above list. I'll always be running, but will I always go see bands?

It's making me more impatient with spending time in ways that don't feel like something I have to or want to do. I'm less willing to spend leisure time on bad books, bad movies, bad meals, annoying people, because opportunities for leisure time arise far less often than they used to. It's the old conundrum. When I was a student, I had time but no money; now I have money but no time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a house. That will get rid of all your spare money and time.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home