Wednesday, December 15, 2004

TV pseudo-editorials

What is it with you people? This blog is getting clicked on more than ever, and yet no one's giving me a single book suggestion. Although Jake did loan me a Tom Robbins book this morning, which is not technically non-fiction and which I've long thought I'd hate but I'll give it a shot anyway. The rest of you people can't read. (I guess you're looking at this blog for the pictures.)

If you watch The Amazing Race but didn't watch last night's episode yet and don't want it spoiled (Chris, this means you), you probably want to stop reading now.

I'm wondering how many TV pseudo-editorials are going to be written about the domestic abuse that's going on this season, and in particular about its escalation last night. I haven't seen much on it thus far, but last night's episode was pretty stomach-turning. It's a different kind of view into someone's private life than reality TV typically offers, and I'm not sure I like it. I'm interested in other reactions -- not to the incident itself, which everyone's likely to roundly agree upon -- but to CBS's portrayal of it and to the fact that they're still in the game. I was pretty surprised they weren't automatically eliminated. I'm sure there are rules about violent behavior towards other teams and locals encountered along the way, but the producers probably wouldn't have suspected that they'd need to mandate behavior between teammates.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kieran Snyder said...

There wouldn't be a lot of point to reading it if I didn't try to give it a fair shot, so I'll see how it goes!

5:29 PM  
Blogger heathalouise said...

I have no book suggestions, as my life is still stuck in school mode. I can't remember the last "fun" book I read. I haven't been watching the The Amazing Race, but I poked around Television Without Pity to find out what happened. I'm sure the pseudo-editorials will pop up in the Sunday papers. Remember boobies=bad, men shoving their wives/girlfriends=A-OK. Ugh.

Did you watch Top Model? What do you think of the winner?

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home