Thursday, July 07, 2005

Movie.

I wanted to write a review of My Summer of Love tonight, but I can't, because of London. I have observations to make about a romance between two unstable teenage girls and I can't, because those observations are facile and stupid and a little bit glib, and I can't make myself write them all out when there are real things going on in the world that I feel like I should be writing about instead. Except I'm not. Because on the real things, all anyone can say is facile and stupid and a little bit glib, and with regard to real things, that feels facile and stupid and a little bit glib. Better to tailor the tone to the topic matter. Maybe. Except that today, I can't write about the movie either.

I have problems, but on the scale of people with problems I don't have problems. I have problems that most people, even people who know me pretty well, aren't aware of. I have other problems that other people are aware of, but on the scale of people with problems they're pretty normal problems to have (divorced parents are facile, stupid, glib; the normal range of vices are facile, stupid, glib; wanting stuff you can't have is facile, stupid, glib), which used to make them more interesting when I thought about it but which now makes them less. Which is not a bad thing, to have them be less interesting. The trick is making less interesting mean less important.

It's not trivial.

So I saw this movie, and I have things to say about it, but mainly what I can say is that it was fine. Both the movie and what I have to say about it are not too consequential. I mean it: no consequences. Or no interesting, important ones. Which I guess is not what you're going for, as a filmmaker or an artist or a writer or a musician or for that matter a teacher or a doctor or a ballroom dancer. People strive for consequence. Consequence adds meaning to our causal actions. Show me a cause without any effects and I'll show you an action that, in light of everything, is pretty unimportant. And most of our actions are pretty unimportant.

What I'm wondering is how many actions that are important are important because they create positive consequences, and how many are important because a few gloryhunters blow up some trains and buses and create a shitload of negative consequences for a bunch of people they don't know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home