Sunday, May 08, 2005

Assassination, all I ever wanted.

I started reading Assassination Vacation this morning. Oh, I heart Sarah Vowell. It's almost enough to make me listen to NPR.

I really want to listen to NPR. I want to like it, support it, give it money. I appreciate their mission. And yet I cannot. A conundrum. Terri Gross exemplifies all the reasons I want to like NPR, and also all the reasons I cannot. It's a problem.

Either way, I'm really enjoying this book. An appearance on The Daily Show plus memories of how much I liked The Partly Cloudy Patriot catapulted Assassination Vacation to the top of my reading list, violating all my usual rules of order and reason. At the rate I'm going I should finish it fairly quickly, so stay tuned for a further review.

What is it about NPR though? Is it the sanctimony? The seriousness of purpose? I can't say, but it's something.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I think I know what you mean. I sometimes thought of myself as a guy who should wake up to XPN but, let's face it, Angelo Cataldi is waaay funnier.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kieran Snyder said...

Jason, I heart you AND Sarah Vowell.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home