Monday, May 02, 2005

Models only.

One day when my sister was about seven, she and my mom and I were driving past a new housing development and we had a conversation that went like this:

Meri: Did you know that models are allowed to live there?
Mom: What?
Kieran: What?
Meri: Yeah, the sign says "Models Only!"

So it turns out that everyone in the boy band carpool has off Thursday and Friday except for me, soccer mom and manager of the band. We'll see how my role changes when I break down and buy a new car and make it a TT. Well, for one thing, I'll become useless for the carpool. For another, there's everything else.

I had a long conversation at work today about the syntax of question formation, which is something I haven't thought about in some time (and the messy syntax now all over my whiteboard shows it). The details of our fake analysis and the fact that it was a pretty fun discussion notwithstanding, it reminded me again of how frustrated I get with the false conflation of model and account that goes on in so much of syntax. (In related news, if it uses Greek letters, it must be math, right?)

I've spent too much time in front of a computer today, even tonight when I left work at a reasonable time. Cf. previous post about recreation and computers. Cf. some other stuff too. I am rapidly geekifying, and it's only the Monday night of my career.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going back to cheese:

Are you gearing up for this extravaganza?

http://www.seattlecheesefestival.com/

Enjoy!

K

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home