Friday, July 08, 2005

We get one real summer, ridiculous and sublime.

Seriously, I am considering ordering CDs by The Primitives, The Housemartins, The Ocean Blue, and god help us Anything Box. This is only a tiny subset of the albums I've browsed online today, and most of them are things I owned on cassette back in the day. There's something comforting about having the soundtrack to the summer between my junior and senior years of high school on command, ready to go any time I need it. Even if, technically, The Housemartins well predated that. I've already replaced most of my The Beautiful South collection.

This is a good use of time on my day off.

In three years, that summer will have been half my life ago. You know you have your Anything Boxes too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Yeah...in my case, the two albums I connect with that summer the most are as follows:

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish

Thinking of Nothing's Shocking always makes me think of driving to the beach. And no, I've never replaced either of these albums with cd's. It just feels wrong to not listen to them on tape, even if the tapes have definitely seen better days.

7:49 AM  
Blogger heathalouise said...

Woo! The Primitives! I must say that I have never heard of Anything Box.

Jane's Ritual de lo Habitual is a record I always associate with High School Summers. In fact, there was a point when I wouldn't listen to it in winter because it depressed me too much.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Jesus Jones and EMF are also bands I associate with that era. And The Railway Children. I should've been British...

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home